RCU Forums - View Single Post - What really happened to Tekin
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 03:26 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What really happened to Tekin

Nothing made me sadder than to see Kevin go through this, and see others take advantage of his disability. The one reason I stayed on so long, and even came back to work for him after leaving Futaba was because I genuinely admired him, and he also gave me some real opportunities to do design work and developement, well at least for a while. Tekin had potoential, and we were in the middle of a huge boom in the R/C car market, it was wide open and up for grabs, what an opportunity. Chances like this come once in a lifetime. One thing I remember was Bill steele, who knew Kevin pretty well, had a track in Vista Ca. called Hot Trick, where we would race 8 minutes 1/12th scale carpet, that was a blast. Eric Solderquist and other immuninati frequented the track, and that is where I first met Barry Baker. Barry was a great driver, but could easily be unraveled by a single critical comment from another driver on the stand during a race, at which point he lost all his composure and proceeded to "bang the boards" and "hammer" for the remainder of the race, or until he broke his car. Once that happened, he was done for the night. I also remember Tony Neissenger would show up to de-throne Solderquist every once in a while, which we all enjoyed. Roy Powell was another of the San Diego crowd who showed up with Joe Ward at Hot Trick, and that was always interesting, Steele had him pit away from his adversaries to try and prevent them from going to blows.....those were the days! One could never say they were not passionate about carpet racing.