RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redcat Racing Tornado Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

ok so my Tornado Tranny conversion is finished. I was attempting to replace the two speed with a single and lower the gearing for larger tires. I wanted to put the Shockwave tranny in it and keep it simple with more of a direct drive style diff instead of using the Volcano tranny with all the gears. I checked with Redcat and they offer no larger Spur gears for the Shockwave and could not advise me on other spur's that would fit. This was kind of hard to beleive!

So anyway I wound up with a Volcano tranny and started out with a standard HPI 15 tooth clutch bell. Just thought I'd let you know this is not a simple tranny swap out. For people who like to tinker it's not the hardest mod you'll ever do but I thought it would more or less just drop in. Well the tranny does just drop in but first off when you buy the tranny you'll need the Volcano brake cam as it's taller than the Tornado. I thought I could just swap the brake cam over. Then the cam is in a different position so your brake rod from your servo will not line up and you will need to modify your brake cam lever rod. The new position of the brake rod will mean removing the handle that was on top of the tranny. The fuel lines are dangerously close to the new steel tranny gears. A few zip ties and extra loops in the fuel lines to avoid 90 degree bends will take care of this. I think that was pretty much all of it. I also added the longer Volcano axle stubs and double hex's to try and get the wheelbase just a little wider. The clutch bell needs to be at least an 18 or 19 tooth. Right now with 2.8 buggy tires on it it probably just breaks the mid 20's. If I can get it into the low 30's with the extra ground clearance and higher torque I'll be happy. Here's a before and after pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38040.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1718565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77789.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1718566