RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Yak?
Thread: Seagull Yak?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 11:55 AM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Yak?

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

On a cowled engine, priming the carb when cold requires either of three methods. A finger over the ventura, soldering the hole in the choke plate closed, or an injection tube aimed into the ventura. The easier choice by far is soldering the choke hole closed.

Remember, these carbs require crankcase pressure impulses for the pump... if the insulator mount only has the port on one side, the carb can only be mounted one direction. Sometimes the carb will be rotated to provide better linkage hookup without noticing the pulse port issue. Some engines once primed will draw enough fuel to run without the pulse port to the pump but they won't run properly or be able to be tuned.

Fortunately, my carb can be mounted either way and Iturned it over to simplify the throttle linkage. I can also reach the needle adjustments without removing the cowl or drilling a hole.
I've considered the pulse tube and replaced the original tubing from the crankcase to the carb and secured both ends with small zip ties.
My next effort will be soldering a brass tube to the vent hole in the diaphram cover and running tubing into the fuselage.
I don't have a choke system rigged up at the moment and have been choking it by putting my hand over the velocity stack opening. To save weight and complexity I'm considering using a "cork" to temporarily plug the velcity stack opening instead of using my hand, which is awkward, while trying to turn the prop. I need to visit the hardware store and look around.

Looks like your shims have done the job on your SW wing incidence. Hope she flies better for you next time out.

Our WX is bad for flying but, good for everything else. We need the rain so, I'm not complaining.

I need to replace the gear on my MX2 and reassemble it. I need to get my favorite bird back in the air. She's rested long enough.

RJ