RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Servo - Futaba BLS171HV
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New Servo - Futaba BLS171HV

ORIGINAL: OhD

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Just went through all Futaba hv servos at towerhobbies (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=MAL) on weight attribute.

Was not able to see one in mini-servo category that is suitable for elevators.

Personally I would prefer to use hv servos in a pattern plane.
The S9070SB looks perfect for elevators on paper. It has the same features as the BLS171HV. I like the package where the mounting lugs are high on the case so the output arm is not too far above the bearings. I like the way the cable exits the bottom of the case so it is easy to install the servo in a perfectly sized hole. However, I do not recommend the S9070SB. I'd like to hear from someone else who has tried them.

Jim O
I don't know where I got the idea the S9070SB was brushless but I took one apart today and there are only two wires to the motor so I'm sure they are not brushless and therefore don't have the same features as the BLS 171HV. I also found out why they don't center well. The feedback pot is on the circuit board and is mechanical coupled to the gear train by what amounts to a flat screw driver in a slotted screw. I was thinking about putting a drop of thick CA in there and buttoning it up, but I'd probably never get it open again. Anyway that tells me there is no reason the BLS171HV shouldn't be a great servo.

Jim O