RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 soviet steel
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Default 1/10 soviet steel

Im not a big fan of build threads that end in limbo but this one hopefully features a tank that I have a fair chance of finsihing (at least to a static state).

This is going to be a representation based on a KV-2 - note I didnt say "model" as accuracy is not on the list of priorities. Im building this as I am well tired of watching RC tanks float over cigarette butts and twigs instead of crushing them.

So its a 1:10 soviet KV-2 built entirely of 1.5 mm and 2 mm steel sheet and everything else will be steel as well. tracks will be side by side duplex 1/2 inch pitch duplex machine chains with somekind of cross members to hold them together.

Swing arms are made out of steel, 1 cm thick, and are finsihed. Structure is being held together with 15 mm 3 mm thick steel right angle. All fixings are currently temporary and will be replaced with flush screws. Axles are 1 cm diameter steel bar. Wheels are finsihed in the rough state. Decent heavy weight bearing are holding the idelr axles and drive wheels.

I reckon total weight of the chassis will be 40 kg with another 20 maybe in drives and batteries. Im looking at 12 or 18 v drill/screwdriver motors with motorbike batteries. Havent thought about sound or control systems. I can get help when it comes to it I suppose. I reckon I can get (based on my own calculations) about 30 minutes on the flat for the capacity of battery I can get into it. If it goes uphill thats going to drop drastically. The turret should rotate but that would be it as far as fancy stuff goes. Suspension will be some kind of simple spring system - no torsion bars.

Turret is cut out and ready for assembly.

I have no machine tools so this has been built so far with steel sheets from a car shop and a hand nibbler and hammer. Everything shaped with hand files. All holes drilled with one of those hand drill bench press things that cost 20 euros. Got the drive wheels and idlers from a wreckers and the chains I got off ebay. The tracks alone are probably going to weight about 15 kg. Plans came from a 1/35 model

Im not guaranteeing updates but its actually whacking along at a nicepace. Even working outdoors in -6 weather with steel.

p

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40070.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1720711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67686.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1720712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96136.jpg
Views:	93