RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 soviet steel
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 soviet steel

Heres a shot of all the road wheels in very rough state. These are steel exhaust pipes of the right diameter for cheap from a motor parts shop. I cut them into disks of the right width using a sawand files and a simple grinding stone. Then I got a teak chopping boards from IKEA of the right thickness, and using a hole saw cut out disks of the same diameter. I heated the steel rings with a torch until they slid over the wooden disks and then cooled them to shrink fit (witha little scorching). I then skimmed over each side with liquid metal compound to get a metal effect. A little sanding and drilling and mounting of steel washers around the central holes forstrength and effect and they should start to look ok. Lot of work there however.

The swing arms are fabrictaed using brute force, steel round rod and square rod and silver solder and some murderous efforts at boring thestraight holes for the grub screws (to lock the axle flats) with a bloody hand drill.

They are sturdy however and with a few bolts in it at the right places they should look reasonable. The axles will be silver steel and the axles for the road wheels themselves are 6 mm diameter 10 cm long coach bolts which will need some grinding and filing but should be ok.

The worst parts will be the rounded bits on the gun mantlet but I reckon a hockey puck or something from the lower shelves of Clas Ohlson may be the basis for that. Improvisation must be the name of the game here as 1/10 parts are thin on the ground

p
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72419.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1720734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27426.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1720735