View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to Electric Pattern

ORIGINAL: dakoris73

Hello everyone;

I'm new to the Electric Pattern scene, and flew a couple competitions last year with a 46 Glow size plane. I'm now in the process of getting a newer pattern plane to fly with this year, and its an electric setup. So, I have a few items of curiousity about this, and who else to ask but the folks who actually fly and use electric??? The plane I'm acquiring is an older Focus, which will use a 10s battery setup, or so I've been told and I will be flying the Sportsman and possibily Intermediate sequences this year. Therefore, I looking for opinions on the following:

- Charger setup: I am going to need to upgrade to one that can handle 10s or 12s packs, so What chargers would you recommend to consider, and where would I find them? I've seen a few CellPro chargers out at the fields at a competition I was at, but not sure where to get one. Also, will I need to get a separate power supply / generator for this setup?

- Batteries: Apparently I'm gonna have to get used to working with 2 5s packs in series, but what brands would you recommend? On my smaller electrics, I've been using the skypoly lipo's, but have heard some iffy info about the larger packs.

As far as cost goes for these, I'm hoping to stay under about the $600 mark for at least 2 chargers and 3 sets of batteries, but is also flexible depending on what I find out from you folks...... Hopefully this all makes sense.....

Thank you for all your opinions and looking forward to another fun year in Pattern Flying.

Mikey
Mikey,
Are you sure you need a 10S pack? The 2M wide bodies use those packs and the Focus is smaller than that. Obviously, it depends on what motor you are using but you may be able to use 8S packs instead. This will save you a great deal of weight. In pattern, you cannot use 12S packs at all. We are limited to the voltage that can be supplied to the aircraft motor. The largest you can run is a 10S. The Cellpro charger is wonderful. I have both the Cellpro 10S and the 10XP. The XP will charge many different chemistries and also discharge a full pack (you don't want to leave them sitting fully charged for more than a week or so. Chris Moon at F3AUnlimited.com has the chargers. If you use the SkyLipo's, you will need the KO/GP boards for them. The other boards are for Thunderpower and PolyQuest connectors (labeled TP/PQ). Those are sold seperately but usually on Chris' site, you can find package deals that'll fit your needs. If you go with the Cellpro, I'd definitely recommend buying the PC connector. It allows you to easily program the charger with presets and the sort. It's really inexpensive. You don't have to have it but it sure makes it quick and easy. Good luck!

Scott