RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where do you like to fly?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where do you like to fly?

I don't like limiting my experiences any more than I have to. "Variety is the spice of life" is a motto I like to exemplify.

I have 1200 acres of farm land between my house and the city limits. I can use my yard or the road for my runway and do so at least once a week if weather permits. I might fly anything from my electric park flyers to my 1/4 scale cub. I live close enough to town that people at the city park can see my planes flying and often stop by to watch or ask questions. I've given many buddy box flights from my front yard to total strangers, usually kids, but sometimes adults also.

I also teach kids to fly at my church, which has a 500 acre field behind it and plenty of grass or the parking lot for a runway. Here as well, people driving by will sometimes stop to watch or get a buddy box flight.

I usually keep an electric T-28 to fly behind my work place. Flying is a stress reliever for me, so I often fly during my lunch break or right after work. This also occasionally attacts some spectators.

I also enjoy flying at my club field. We have a 200' x 600' grass runway with plenty of open farm land beyond the runway. I enjoy the crowded flyins and fun events as well as the more peacefull times. We have about 40 members, but on most weekends, there is usually only 6 to 10 people there at one time. I enjoy this time to practice my pattern flying and get pointers from a couple of club members that use to compete in pattern competitions. Sometimes I will also bring along a plane that I've been having problems with and get help from the "old vets". I'm also a club instructor, so sometimes I am the one giving advice and helping out newer folks.
Many times on weekday evenings, I have the club field to myself or maybe one other person there. I enjoy this time also.

I wouldn't want to give up any one of these experiences. They are all fun in one way or another, I just go with the flow and enjoy the moment !