RCU Forums - View Single Post - HIGH SPEED STALL
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 04:03 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: HIGH SPEED STALL

I suppose the only two stall type you get with a model airplane wing will be the "normal" run out of airspeed stall where you're trying to maintain 1G and you exceed the wing airfoil's stall angle of attack because you're going for more lift co-efficient as your airspeed drops.

The second stall is what I've normally associated with the term high speed stall, and that's where you exceed the wing airfoil's stall angle of attack at an airspeed higher than necessary to maintain 1G, for example in a banked turn. I've been in a full size private plane doing this flying well above "normal" stall speed pulling tight banked turns until the stall warning indicator started blaring at me which was only about 1.5G. Yep it wasn't a performance ship for sure :-)

Any airflow disruptions to do with critical Mach and/or transonic effects probably won't come into play at the speeds most models fly at unless your wing or some other appendage is trying really hard to accelerate airflow at a fantastic rate at one particular spot......