View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Hi guys,

You wouldn't know if anybody makes an ARF, kit or plans or ??? of the Skybolt in a size to take a 30-50CC gasser, would you? I'm guessing that the wingspan would be about 80 inches, more or less. I built a larger version of the GP Skybolt in my RealFlight program, and it's so much fun to fly that I've found myself hoping that I'll be able to find a REAL R/C model in about the same size. I already have the GP Super Stearman set up with a 30CC gasser, and it's a nice bird and a good flyer, but nothing flies quite like a Skybolt, if you ask me.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not in any rush, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled from now on.[8D]

Jim
Hello Jim,

Depending on your outlook on this hobby, your facilities (drafting), your availability of material (balsa, plywood, steel wire), and your sense of material properties (weight, strength, dimensioning), and guidance from the kit drawings (two sheets drawn by Paul Carlson) and the time, it could be a most enjoyable project to increase the size by a factor of 150% making the model 85.5 inches wingspan or even double it at 114 inches wingspan.

It would not be necessary to draw all the details as seen on the kit drawings.

Example for the wings ___you increase the outline of the airfoil and make the ribs with the same thickness and hardness of balsa and ply. There is many ways to do that again depending on your facilities.
You then draw the outside dimensions of the larger wing and a single line to show the position of each rib.
You decide on the size of the spar material and just draw two lines showing its position. Any details are drawn in your mind (if you understand what I mean).

You keep in mind that doubling a linear dimension increase the area by the square of the ratio and the volume (weight) by the third power (eight times). That is simple enough.

If you decide to go that way, and I do not know any better way, there is many fellows in this forum that can help you in your endeavor.

I agree with you on the flying qualities of the Skybolt. That is due to some minute (small) factors hard to define or explain. I very recently wrote that the only other model with similar qualities is the original Astrohog.

I can try to explain these flying qualities by analogy to a woman's face. What makes a pretty lady compared to an ordinary one or an ugly one. They all have two eyes, a nose, two lips, two ears, hair on the top but as often said and written "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" ___ .

The decision is all yours. All that can be done through the forum is help wih advices and suggestions.

Good luck,

Zor