RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skybolt hangar and clubhouse
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Thanks, EJ,

I can see you've put a lot of thought into these two. As far as how to build the tail, I have to wonder about the CG of this bird, whether it's prone to tail-heavy or ?? Typically bipes are tail heavy, so I think you're probably right about the built-up tail versus solid balsa sheet. Stronger, lighter, and will last longer through times of humidity, etc.

I was thinking that if the tail was built nice and light, the gas engine could be one of the new 55CC gassers they have out now. They're quite light and strong runners. It's always a tough call on the engine, and the plane's tendencies toward nose or tail heaviness can dictate what you must use.. So far, I'm not finding any build reviews on the Hostetler or the other one.

If I could have exactly what I want, I'd have something that would hold a Syssa 30CC. That's equivalent to good-running 1.80 glow.

My GP Super Stearman was a beautiful match to the Syssa. The instructions and the guys building it almost all had to add 19 ounces to the nose when using the specified glow motor, and the Syssa was exactly the weight of the 19 ounces plus the glow motor.

It would be nice to find a Skybolt with a 72" span. I'll bet that would be just perfect for the Syssa. That's probably a tall order, though. I know the kitcutters can resize plans to order, and that might be the way I have to go.

If you have all the major parts, you should probably go with it, because making another cowl would be a bear. That's what I'd be facing if I had the plans resized.

Jim