RCU Forums - View Single Post - Painting SIG Koverall
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Painting SIG Koverall

If you are painting a color like yellow or red, I would use a white primer. Dupli Color and Krylon both have white primer.

After your initial weave filling with dope, sand well to remove everything you don't need. Your should have sanded almost all the primer off. Then reapply the primer VERY lightly, Just enough to cover so you have an even surface color. Now you are ready for your color coat.

You mentioned your final coat was butyrate dope for fuel proofing. Personally, I would never use butyrate dope as a top coat on anything except butyrate or nitrate dope. My thoughts are, the butyrate dope reacted with the underlying paint. Your rattle can paint will work just fine on a gas model. There should be no issue there.

I have in fact used automotive acrylic lacquer paints on nitro models and had no issues. If I spilled fuel I just made sure to wipe it off right away. The oil did not affect the paint.

After the lacquer paint has dried for a coupe of days, or even the next day a little rubbing compound will bring up a nice shine. A little wax to follow after a couple of weeks and you should have a very nice paint job. Remember a good paint job starts at the base material. A crappy job there will translate right up to the top layer.

Good luck on your project!!

Ken

EDIT: Read the spray can. It it has acetone in it, you have a lacquer paint. It there is mineral spirits, you have a enamel paint. Lacquer can never be applied over enamel. I think you knew this already but I thought I would throw it out there for those who don't.