RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Gee Bee Z
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Gee Bee Z

So true. And yes with that more powerful Wasp engine it was reported they did have that flutter problem. I read somewhere that when the Granville Brothers got the engine, Lowell Bayles won the coin toss on who was going to get it for their Gee Bee.

I read somewhere that the replica Gee Bees was a very good aircraft and did aerobatics quite well. But also I have to be truthful and report that the materials that were used on the replicas were far more better than what was available in the 1920's-30's.

There is a VHS video called, " Those incredible Gee Bees." I highly recommend it to any Gee Bee fanatics out there, I know I plan on getting it.

But any high preformance aircraft, no matter the make and model can be unforgiving if someone isn't prepared for it. It's very true that any plane that isn't set up properly can be a nightmare to operate. It doesn't matter if we're talking about full sized aircraft, or your basic RC aircraft. Even the full sized homebuilt aircraft, the builder must have the CG and setup correct.

Quite a few did die flying the Gee Bee from what I investigated, the R1, R2, including the Y and Z model. But don't forget, the Gee Bee aircraft was flown to compete- and many were pushed to the envelope when it came to speed. Gee Bees were highly experimental and the Granville Brothers were always designing and trying new experiments to have that cutting edge when it came to holding records.

The safety concerns weren't like they are today, so accidents and deaths occured more often back then. That is why we have these strict rules today in the FAA. (The agency was called something else in the late 20's to the late 40's) But in the 1958 the name was changed to what we know it as today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...Administration

I'm enjoying this topic, I love the Gee Bee history and the Golden age of aviation.

Pete