View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5

Managed to fly the Tomahawk.
Few things to note:
If you gain to much speed on takeoff, the gear struggle with closing. The incoming air through inlets pushing out through wheel wells makes for a bit of a struggle for the retraction. They will finally managed to get inside but often not before doors shut. I have a very long delay on doors closing and they beat gear over and over. I even tried rolling inverted and retracting without an luck. After one gear gets inside then the other is fighting all that air. I kept having gear hanging on doors, gear closing on doors, etc. Well the doors are servo driven so this puts them in a bind which could be big trouble.
Of course the gear work perfect on ground and the door delay seems a bit on rediculous side.
Next I tried to manage a slow takeoff in hopes the air bowing through door would be minimized. They went in and doors closed behind them! Finally! This is the fourth light and I'm finally flying about clean winged. First thing I noticed is it needed no trim! I couldn't believe this especially with the flying stab.
BUT, on a flyby I noticed the dang gear doors blowing open! Ugh! I have some graupner 8811 on the doors and those servos are 250 oz torque! Wth! So now I have two 250 oz servos fighting the entire flight! This isn't good.
So now I will have to consider some options.
1. Install 400 oz torque servos on doors, which may still be under considerable load during flight. 2. Switch to air cylinders on doors. 3. Switch to actuator on doors, if there are any that are strong enough and will fit
The most obvious scenario to me would be to have inlets and a bypass and I wouldnt be having any issues.
They aren't available so idk yet what to do. I might try to modify a scully set from SG and make fit.
I really think intakes would also help the flying characteristics. This airplane is big and light and the unbypassed setup made it a bit of a kite. Backing off power a bit slows the hawk really quickly. The SG without intakes didn't seem to be as effected. It was very noticeable with the TH. I kept climbing when trying to do slow rolls or four points. It seemed to want to climb on it's side. It being really big, really light and no intakes made it feel light I was fighting it a bit.
It ground handles very nice. Seems a bit better even than the SG. it will even roll around at idle.
It takes off in no time and it light weight is obvious. I think I had a bit too much takeoff flaps and it lifted by itself once! Lol!
Landing was a breeze. Full flaps and off the power will scream to hault, so a lot of power on landing is necessary. Cones in nose high like all hawk at a slow speed.
Next problem is the springs in the mains. They are too soft. One side worse than other. Two landings managed to compress springs to the point that the leg door touched ground and knocked it off. It needs some stiffer springs. The landings were not hard but one was in a crosswind and I was flying sideways til touched down.
It is so big and so light that a crosswind will effect it significantly. Still very predictable in crosswind and easy to manage with no bad tendencies.
This aircraft could use some intakes and bypass and be fine or could use some extra weight somehow.
The Hawk is a monster and it has great presence on the ground and in air. It flew great, but needs a bit of tweaking.
It really would be nice if the kit was available in a heavier layup and be about 10-20 percent heavier.
A bit of tweaking and it will be one of my favorites.
I probably will try to fit intakes and bypass first. If unsuccessful I will Try to find actuator for doors. I probably will send gear in to be converted to electric. Definitely Get some stiffer springs for main struts.
Scott