RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Anybody interested in a NEW YS shortstroke? New, as in produced this year...

Hi Guys,
I have some potentially very exciting news: YS is considering manufacturing a new 10cc (.61) rear exhaust short-stroke engine.
This really got started by Chip Hyde when he opened the post regarding which 3 classic pattern kits would you be interested in. Of course, the concern was raised regarding availability of rear exhaust engines. I knew Paul Pappas had called Rich Verano about a year ago to inquire about YS making more 60s and there didn't seem to be much interest by YS at the time. I decided to give it another try and spoke to Rich about the possibility of YS producing some more 60s about a month ago. Long story made short(er): we chatted, he chatted with YS and they are interested in the project!
I don't have much information, yet, but I do know the following:
This will be a new version of the short stroke; YS wants to use the long stroke case (apparently they can't make the 'FR' case anymore) and update the design to make it a short stroke engine. I don't have specifics, but essentially this would entail boring out the case; new, larger diameter piston, shorter connecting rod, different crankshaft or just different placement of the crankpin and some porting and timing changes. Knowing YS it will undoubtedly have more power than the original 'FR' and the design philosophy seems to be addressing the needs of the CPA pilots looking for peak power at higher rpm. If the torque curve of this new engine approximates that of the old 'FR' it will be quite flat, producing excellent power at a surprisingly wide rpm range.
I have included some photos of an original .60FR (on the left) and a newer .61LS to whet your appetite.
The only other information I have is that YS is hoping for a mid to late summer 2012 delivery date.
Currently, they are considering making 100 of these new engines.
Is there enough interest to purchase 100 (or more) of these engines? I know I'll be good for a couple - at least!
Regards,
Will Bartlett
PS - I have no 'personal' interest or stake in this venture (unlike the Hanno sleeves) - just a very excited spectator!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87928.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1726643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22982.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1726644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47914.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	137.8 KB