RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking to purchase Redcat RC
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to purchase Redcat RC

ORIGINAL: Peco80

Looking to buy a Caldera 10 but I'm unsure if I want a nitro or electric. I live in a area that humidity and temps consistently are changing (temps range from 95 to -20) so I'm thinking electric would be easier to run without always making adjustments to a nitro. I'm I just over reading into this or I'm I on the right track? I don't want to be adjusting a carb for 10-20 min for 30 min of fun. If I go electric what's the largest Lipo battery can I go with (mAH, Constant Discharge).
Humidity and swinging temps certainly play a part in tuning but the SH .18 that comes in the Caldera is very easy to tune. Also it's not nearly as picky as my HPI .18. You will have to make adjustments when there is a significant difference in temp, but it shouldn't be everytime your running. This still is not a big deal. It gets colder out, you richen up your HSP needle and your off and running, opposite for when it warms up. If this is your first RC purchase, do your research! Ask lots of questions before you buy. Both electric and nitro have their pro's and con's. I love nitro but...electric is much more user friendly if your buying new with everything already set up for you.

Either way the Caldera is a great platform to start with. I bought my 8 year old "at the time" a used Caldera 10E brushless truck. Great bang for the buck. It's had very minimal problems and little down time. I don't have any experience with the nitro version but I have a Tornado S30 with the same engine and the engine is rock solid and plenty powerful.