View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Regulation passed the House

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: init4fun

ORIGINAL: JohnShe
They can then be presented to the FAA, I think, and if the FAA accepts them, you can fly to your hearts content.

I saw no where in the law that said the FAA gets to ''accept'' or approve what constitutes a ''CBO'' , , , just that an RCer must be CBO compliant ...... I think the whole point of the Model Aircraft provision was to keep the FAA from regulating model avation , and here you say that the CBO's regs must meet FAA approval ?

You sure about that ?
The notes from the Conference Committee Report provide guidance on what Congress considers a CBO:

In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean a membership based association that
represents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the
National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground; develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions,
government entities and other aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members.
But I agree, nowhere is there any indication that a CBO needs to have its safety guidelines reviewed, approved, or otherwise recognized by the FAA, or anyone else.
Not "approved", that is not what I said.The operational guidelines must be "accepted" by the FAA or else the FAA is free to regulate the activity. The law is clear. The AMAhas a solid foothold in this process and a good set of acceptable guidelines reflecting what we have always been doing will be forthcoming. I am an AMAmember, I have a voice in AMA activities and rule making. You can quibble all you want but we members of the AMA still win. If you don't like the AMA, start your own CBO.