RCU Forums - View Single Post - Regulation passed the House
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Regulation passed the House

I copied this from FG. IT was written by another user there (Danaman) and I think it states our current situation very clearly. Summed up my thoughts nicely at least:

AMA and its members have achieved something important, no doubt and kudos to us. However, we are only golden over time if the preponderance of members who choose to pursue their hobby under the AMA umbrella, do so in a way that doesn't get others wet (including the AMA members who do observe the code). Encouraging local club members to stick to the existing guidelines has been an effort for the officers of the clubs that I belong to and the AMA Government Relations Campaign enabled us to highlight the need to observe the rules for safety sake and to protect the hobby. While the new AMA guidelines that are coming our way may not be anymore restrictive to those who observed them to date, a more rigorously defined set may feel "restrictive" to those not yet used to following them? My point is that we will soon need to turn our attention to bringing other members into the compliance fold and stay vigilant of the behavior of new members who will wish to take shelter from the default rule.

And then there is the public comment period for the NPRM that we should not forget about just yet. Those who are outside the AMA will want to pay particular attention to the rulemaking process at this turn, and we should too. Can an unexpected surprise there move the tree line a bit and we find our hobby back in the woods? Alarmist maybe, but if that happens, it will take legions of lawyers and lots of attorney fees to argue the final rule and protect our rights as hobbyists. I have great confidence in the AMAs leadership, just want us followers to stay frosty in case another charge is needed, by way of well reasoned and thoughtful public comments to preserve the gains we made with legislature.