RCU Forums - View Single Post - Regulation passed the House
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Regulation passed the House

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

The new urgent need to rework the AMA Safety Code grew out of the sUAS regulation/rule making efforts on the part of the FAA. Had that not happened I do not think the AMA wold have been backed into a corner with regard to doing anything with the Safety Cade. But the Rule making process changed everything. But you know this, so why the straw man question?
I asked what is the need NOW,
not if there was a need before we got congress' protection.
Yes, I did know all about the need back then, but what about NOW?

Back then, you mean last week? [&:]

I think the AMA feels that they have invested considerable time and effort at working on making our operational guidelines robust enough that they would not be questioned by anyone who looked at them. Rather than just abandon that effort, since they are so close to being done, I think they plan to finish it. As The quote above note, even though there will likely not be a reduction in what we can do, having to pay more attention to how we do it might feel like a restriction at first. But having a robust set of guidelines reduces the ability of the FAA or anyone else from pointing at our 1-page safety code and implying that it is not adequate.

The big point is not we do not have to give the FAA a chance to review, accept, or fool with our guidelines, but I think it is prudent to be prepared for it in the future, especially since we are already so far down the road. The Bill has a 4-year term on it. Who knows what might happen 4 years down the line.