View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Here is what I have come up with so far on the canopy drive. A couple control horns I had laying around made a tasty mount for the motor. I have found I need a carrier bearing on the back of the shaft to stabilize it.
Gary,
maybe I missed it, Is that canopy drive actuator proportionally controlled or overload like the lados?,, how do you control the stop points I guess is my question
It will have the same type control box that all the Down & locked gear have. They are building a special use one just for actuators like this with only one function / output. It will 'see' the load at each end and shut down the motor. Nice thing with this is, should the canopy jam for any reason, it will simple shut down. A re-cycle will send it back the other way. Very simple and reliable.

I will take some more pictures, but I did make some changes since the first trial. The ends were set up for 2-56 not 4-40, so I replaced the Nyrod with 2-56 all thread (still too flexible), so I then slid a carbon fiber rod over that. They DO NOT FLEX anymore. Some wax on the slider makes them smooth and easy to slide.

Tonight I'll make the carrier bearing for the jack screw, and go back to work mounting the canopy to the system. I've come up with what I think is a better and lighter way to do that without the brass I was going to use.