RCU Forums - View Single Post - Helisim RC help
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Helisim RC help

Lesson one, get a good sim. I prefer Real Flight G 5.5. Comes with a Futaba Type controller. There are others out there as well. Helicopter flight(Good bird/equipment+SIM) will run you right around 500-$1000 to become proficient and purchase all the necessary equipment and replacement parts. You can certainly go cheaper than that and do like I did and buy used. You really need to know how to inspect the helicopter if you do this. Mine needed roughly $60 in parts once I looked it over before I would fly it. Find someone that can fly to help you if possible. I started on a 300 size(Blade CP Pro), then a Belt CP (450 size), now I have .30 size Nitro that I fly. I had a Larger JR Ergo .60 and was by far the easiest to learn on due to it's weight and stability. Expensive to crash though and substantially more dangerous to operate as it could kill you. Not trying to scare you off, just the reality of learning to fly these AIRCRAFT. They are not toys once you get above a 300 size electric. 450s can break bones and slice you wide open if not respected. What I always loved about helicopters is you can fly them almost anywhere and even if you crash, you can usually repair them to fly again. That is much more difficult if you crash a plane and damage a wing. Bottom line is, are your serious about learning to fly and plan on flying long term. To enjoy it like so many others, it takes time, practice, practice, and an investement whether you go totally Electric , Nitro, Gas or even Turbine(Big Bucks). Any go0d hoby shop with RC stuff will have a Real Flight G version for trial in their store. Go give it a whirl and you'll be the next RC addict like most of us on here.