RCU Forums - View Single Post - Radio Channel
Thread: Radio Channel
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2003, 07:07 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Radio Channel

Indeed you are York and as an unlisensed, listed officially by the FCC as 'secondary user', you will not be allowed to step on the toes of 'Primary users'. If we do we must cease and desist. These folks as qualified bidders (which means a lisensed individual on staff, bid on open FCC auction for the exclusive right to a channel half way between the hobby channels. That is precious little separation and the fees are huge. These channels are throughtout the 72 Mhz band and everywhere, there is no 'out in the middle of nowhere' in the US concerning the frequency spectrum. These users are not just around cities and can be anywhere in the middle of nowhere.

This is why when I see continued use or sale of wideband radios with no indication of the fact it is indeed wideband (anywhere), I cringe and this continued activity does indeed threaten our continued use of the entire hobby bands. Money speaks and we are just squaters in the eyes of the FCC.

I continually have new and unsuspecting newbies show up with equipment that is obviously wideband and it comes from everywhere: yard sales, EBay, garage sales and still see folks advising people that you can 'narrowband' it by sending it in, here on RCU. The fact is 1998 was the official cutoff date that manufacturers were required to stop narrowbanding the old equipment. One of the most recommended repair shops and a rightfully respected individual that folks still suggest sending wideband stuff to was recently posting on this forum stating he no longer did it after researching the situation.

John