RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don Smith Cessna T-50
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 AM
dauntlessuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Smith Cessna T-50

It's been a while since I posted anything re my project. Having obtained the French plans for Bruno Henry's T50 model I started to think that there were aspects of the design that I wasn't so keen on. Thanks to tony (T50UC78) I now also have a copy of Don Smith's plan. I have to say that though this is a much older design, it appears to me to have a more "scale" construction. For example the fuselage stringer sizes and placement are closer to scale than the French plans. In addition I prefer Don's construction method for the fuselage.
Bruno's wing is a more modern 2-piece design and uses sheet cores for the airlerons and flaps. As the 2 plans are to the same scale I considered using his wing design with Don's fuselage. Also as Bruno's design used fiberglass engine nacelles, that seemed a good way forward. However, I found that these are not available commercially though, so would have to be custom fabricated over foam plugs. Also the 2 designs vary in wing section and wing chord (same span though) so it would be a fiddle to match the 2 up. In the end I have decided to use the Don Smith plan as the basis of my model and incorporate some ideas from the other design. Another factor in making my choice was that I found a pair of "pre-owned" (but unused) Robart T50 retracts for sale here in France at a good price. This was another reason to go with the DS plan.

I will build a 3-piece wing for my model, but unlike rhsmrt50's very elegant modification, I think I will separate the outer panels from the centre section at the aileron/flap junction rather than just outboard of the nacelles. This does make for a bigger span centre-section, but as I intend that this will detach from the fuselage for transport it's not a big issue. I just need the wing to split to fit in my car, and for storage.

Over here the Saito distributer was selling out the stock of FG-20 engines (prior to the arrival of the new FG-21 model) at a real knockdown price. I decided to go for a pair of these for my T50 as they have that great 4stroke sound and use less fuel (than nitro engines) and the fuel is cheaper too. I have heard & read some negatives about these engines, but I have a friend here and his FG-20 has been brilliant. I need to run these motors in and set them up on the bench then they will go in a Hangar 9 Mustang to prove them prior to going in the Bobcat.

Now just need to finish off my Brian Taylor OS-2U Kingfisher so I have a clear bench to work on!

Anyone been flying their T50 yet this season?