RCU Forums - View Single Post - The latest in EDF
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The latest in EDF

This falls into the category of "if it's cool, have at it". But like your buddy with a wife you may not have jumped to date when she was single, why rain on anyone else's parade?

One thing nice about scale EDF. Single, twin, four motors, eight motors - it's just as easy. No need to try to stuff a big single motor and fan into a scale nacelle like we try to do with a turbine. I've had many 4 engine EDF models because it was more scale, just as reliable (well, more reliable) and sounded really great. All with EDF. I don't see any of this as a limitation with EDF so much as a difference that needs to be catered for in the design and setup. As far as engine inlets go, the EDF size minus the motor cross section is the fan swept area. Fan swept area is smaller than the EDF size. Also, with modern fan units at high power you can reduce the inlet size below the fan swept area, to as low as 80 percent, even 75 percent if the ducting is simple and the fan is appropriate. So the intake sizes today can be much smaller and completely scale for EDF as long as the design is properly engineered for EDF. Talk of huge bunny ear inlets is ICDF and old EDF technology limitations... That's like saying turbines take 12 seconds to accelerate. While it was true at one point, today modern turbines do much better by smart engineering and advances Same for EDF with high power, high RPM fans. Electric Ducted Fan jets today are not our father's exploding, shaking and seizing .91 slime machine of yesteryear so comparisons are really not even in the ball park. Also, efflux velocity today on high power EDF is "plenty fast enough for the old man" (old star wars quote). If you can repeatedly, legally go faster than 200mph with an EDF as is common now, on a dry day in Texas during a burn ban, where is the contest anyway?

PS, all my EDF's are set up for 7 minute flights or longer. My turbines are set up for 7 minute flights too. Many guys fly shorter for whatever reason, but it's a choice that can be changed with a setup goal in mind, that is planned according to taste.

All that being said I truly enjoy flying turbine and everything about turbine RC jets. And, I equally love EDF and am happily enjoying the advances that have come with it. As much as there will never be a direct replacement (IMHO) for the roar and unique "jet" performance capability of a nicely built turbine jet model - sometimes the bang for the buck, excitement and ease of a quick couple of flights with a fast performance EDF CAN NOT be beat!