RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/4 Scale Sopwith Baby Paint???
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/4 Scale Sopwith Baby Paint???

I used Solartex Natural (no color) to cover my SE5a and then painted it with Nelson's PC10 (Olive Drab) which I customized with acrylic paints...then clearcoated with Nelson's Flat Clear. PC10 is a funny color. One of the reasons there's so much debate is that it can look very different at different times in different light. The two photos of my SE5a below were taken minutes apart but it different lighting. Historical sources take about PC10 looking brownish in sunlight and greenish in shadow. And that's exactly the result I have here.

The PC10 debate centers of whether it was "greenish-brown" or "brownish-green." Personally, based on the full-scale aircraft I saw at the RAF Hendon museum, I'm in the "brownish-green" camp. So, IMHO, the "olive" paints (including the Nelson's) are too far on the green side. So I mixed in some red, black, and brown acrylic until I got the color I was after. It didn't seem to be a problem to mix the acrylic paint with the Nelson's. It will separate if it sits in the jar for several hours, which shows they aren't completely compatible. But it went on well with a foam brush and since I finished with several coats of fuel proof Flat Clear, I wasn't worried.

Make sure that when you do a "color test" that you judge the result OUTSIDE in both sunlight and shade.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65876.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	1734115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19864.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	1734116