RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is a "waiver"?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is a

ORIGINAL: erbroens

And now I am curious.. does the british model association (BMFA) has also a waiver system or something like it? or does any other country besides the usa have one?
The UK does not have a turbine waiver system. We have a few processes in place. Some regulatory some voluntary.

The BMFA have competence schemes - the 'A', 'B' and 'C' certificates. You are required to have a 'B' certificate to fly at public shows but that's about it I believe for 'rules'. Within clubs I think it is at the club's discretion what can be flown at what level. Some will enforce no turbine flying unless you own a 'B' certificate, some will say no over 7kg models without an 'A' certificate. Some will say, fly what you like even if you don't have an 'A', 'B' or 'C'.

However, once a model comes to over 20kg the CAA (Civil Aviaition Authority) ie the law comes into effect. Over 20kg models require inspection, sign off, registration with the CAA and, to prove competence, up to 12 check flights under supervision before the model can be flown alone, either privately or publicly. I don't believe you need any of the A, B or C certs to fly over 20kg models so long as you have been 'signed off'. This sign off is for each model. If you own more than one >20kg models you have to put each one through the scheme. Sell it to someone else and they have to go through the scheme.

I guess, bottom line, if you don't want to fly at shows then you don't need any 'certification' to fly anything anywhere other than if it is over 20kg.

Maybe the good old English reserve and a less litigious society has kept things self-moderated. Maybe if things go downhill we'll have things forced upon us.

Rgds,
Mark

PS I should point out that I'm not 100% on everything here as it was years ago that I got my certificates so stuff may have changed slightly - but you get the idea!