RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aileron Help!
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
jnatale3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aileron Help!

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: jnatale3

Well, since my ''resolution'' this year of going from r/c ground to r/c sky, I have been learning and having fun. I have my Champ, Stinson Reliant, and Stryker Jet. The Jet I plan on using as soon as I am more comfortable with the whole r/c aviation thing. The Champ I am pretty good with. The issue is with my Stinson SR10. I have not flown the plane yet because I have not dealt with ailerons before. //SNIP//
My big concern is how much more to control is the aileron set up in addition to the rudder/elevator I am used to flying with the Champ?

Minnflyer gave you very good advice. Since I know NOT your age and if you are driving a car yet, this may not apply, however it is one informational step I use to teach students as it provides a basic understanding between a KNOWN and an UNKNOWN'

Automobile, bicycle, etc: As you drive you apply pressure to the steering wheel/bars etc. and adjust until you complete the change in direction that you desire. With an airplane you DO NOT use that technique.
As Minnflyer pointed out there is more to it.

1. Ailerons ROLL the aircraft. Such roll continues as long as the aileron pressure (AP) exists. Things happen!!!
2. Rudder YAWS the aircraft, which will result in a roll, especially with high wing, and dihedral which assists that yaw to become roll. (Aerodynamics of such omitted here.) You just need to know what is happening.

3. Using aileron, you ROLL the aircraft until the desired angle of bank is established. Given that no elevator is applied, the vertical lift vector is tilted thus the aircraft is losing altitude. If it loses enough altitude it will contact the earth and in many many attempts I have yet to move the earth out of the way.

4. To extend the lift factor we increase the elevator-up pressure to hold an increased angle-of-attack which has to be maintained during the turn, BUT the aileron is NOT maintained.

In your car you have to hold the turn with steering wheel movement pressure, to mainturn your car turn. With an airplane for a level turn, you roll with aileron pressure and remove AP at the desired angle of bank. Once the roll starts, you need elevator increasing until you reach the desired bank angle and then MAINTAIN that elevator pressure. You will hear lots of stuff about 60 degrees Bank angle requiring 2 ''Gs''. That is true for a LEVEL 60 Degree bank turn. In maneuvering flight the airplane knows not what the bank angle is, nor the ATTITUDE of the airplane nor does it care. It follows either YOUR commands or it follows the commands of gravity, existing applied control pressures, and speed or lack thereof.
Your choice!

Now you will find yourself making many slight changes in the pressure and non presure applications. While you will develop such due to the stick feel and airplane position, we don't really have the ''G'' feelings of the real machine. Yet, a close second of feel, eye coordination and knowledge of basics will come fairly rapidly to you. As you do so, you will develop everything you need to know.

Ailerons beat rudder only all to heck. Now one other hint: If your high wing aileron controlled machine does NOT have a ''washout'' built in ( eyeball the trailing edge from the rear vice the leading edge and check for a slight UP twist. ) just roll your ailerons about 2-3 degrees up. It works much better as it decreases adverse yaw a whole lot.

Best of Luck and Knowledge to you.

WOW! I will print off these notes. :-) BTW I am 28. ;-)