RCU Forums - View Single Post - Experience of using high LiPo charge rates
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Experience of using high LiPo charge rates

I use FMA PL8 chargers and charged my HobbyKing Blue ($40) 5S-5000 LiPo's all last year at 10 amps (2C) at the field and 20 amps (4C) at home.  I would have charged at the higher rate at the field, but my poor generator would "dance" at the higher rate.
I'm convinced that it is more important for battery longevity to store / keep your batteries at 50% charge rate (3.8V per cell) as much as possible.  Every time you fully charge your LiPo it is the same as winding up a rubber band to its limit.  The longer you make it hold that potential, the more damage you're doing to the cell.  Also, every time you discharge it past 20%, you're doing the same thing.  That's why they come from the factory at 50% charge. . .
I am adamant about finishing the flying day with a storage charge, preferably at the field, but definitely at home.  Then I don't charge them back up until I am either at the field or until I've committed to go to the flying field for the day.  It doesn't take long to bring a battery up to full charge from 50% at 20 amps. . . also my field just got connected to "the grid" . . . (yay!!)