RCU Forums - View Single Post - Experience of using high LiPo charge rates
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 PM
icicles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Experience of using high LiPo charge rates

ORIGINAL: wagen017

ORIGINAL: klhoard

I use FMA PL8 chargers and charged my HobbyKing Blue ($40) 5S-5000 LiPo's all last year at 10 amps (2C) at the field and 20 amps (4C) at home. I would have charged at the higher rate at the field, but my poor generator would ''dance'' at the higher rate.
I'm convinced that it is more important for battery longevity to store / keep your batteries at 50% charge rate (3.8V per cell) as much as possible. Every time you fully charge your LiPo it is the same as winding up a rubber band to its limit. The longer you make it hold that potential, the more damage you're doing to the cell. Also, every time you discharge it past 20%, you're doing the same thing. That's why they come from the factory at 50% charge. . .
I am adamant about finishing the flying day with a storage charge, preferably at the field, but definitely at home. Then I don't charge them back up until I am either at the field or until I've committed to go to the flying field for the day. It doesn't take long to bring a battery up to full charge from 50% at 20 amps. . . also my field just got connected to ''the grid'' . . . (yay!!)

Amen to that; charge tour batteries not too long before flying and store them at 50%. Another, even better solution is to go flying everyday! :-) unfortunately i have not been able to get to that point yet!

Volkert
I never charge at home. To go from storage charge to full takes minutes. Get to the field, start charging put model together, by the time it is together batteries are charged. Same when i am finished for the day, place batteries back into storage charge, then pack up the model, then put away the charging setup.

I use two ThunderPower 820's with twin 1000watt supplies. Just need a bigger generator as my little Honda 1000 can't cope. 2000 Honda is on the cards.

I have been charging all my big packs at 2c with no ill effects, can't do more as the generator can't cope. My 2200 3s packs i belt them with 12amps, still under their max charge C of 8c. They are full in under 10 minutes. Can't fly fast enough. These packs get over discharged and pushed hard, ans so far are doing pretty good

Chris