RCU Forums - View Single Post - Experience of using high LiPo charge rates
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Experience of using high LiPo charge rates

Hi Guys,

I'm about to embark on the fast charge route with LiPo's. I don't think there should be concern over fast charging within reason. It's actually been going on for donkey years. In my previous RC car life, we used to charge 1200mAh nicads at 4A with no ill effects.

I'm using a TP820C and have just bought 4 5S TP 25C 5000 mAh packs. I plan to charge at 2C which should allow 20-25 minutes to charge a pack. Like Chris, I'm using a Mean well PSU but have only bought a 600W 27V unit. This should be adequate for my purpose.

Regarding storage of packs, If storing for long periods, I will put them in storage mode. I usually use my packs every week so I just fly them and leave them with 25-30% until I next use them. Last month I had an F3A Unlimited pack puff a cell. The pack had 85 flights on it. Not sure if any of my actions contributed to this failure but the other 7 5S packs are still going strong. Having said that, the balance leads are getting a bit worn and intermittent which sometimes causes the charger to spit the dummy....

Regards,
Jason.