RCU Forums - View Single Post - K&B Sportster .65 (target drone engine)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: K&B Sportster .65 (target drone engine)

ORIGINAL: earlwb

It had me wondering. I have a .65 Sportster engine that I bought off a guy around 20 years ago and it worked fine, no serial numbers or engine numbers on it. Then more recently I got another .65 Sportster engine and it had a G29065 on the left mounting lug. I haven't run the engine but from its appearance, I can say that someone used it for a while OK. It even came with two mufflers a Pitts and the OEM one. But then I noticed a couple of old Ebay auctions where someone was selling a .65 Sportster engine with the same number on the mounting lug on the engines too. None of the engines have a ''91'' on the backplate though. So it was just something that got me curious. So then the numbers on the side of the mounting lug probably mean something to the K&B factory though.
Thanks

I would guess the G29065 to be a more modern serial number. Does that engine have a bronze crank bushing up front? I don't know what the number would mean, but neither of my engines have any numbers.

I think there was another backplate stamping that meant it was a drone also, but I cant recall off hand what it was. I think its on the mecoa forum. Chances are, Earl, neither of your sportsters are drone engines.

This guy I know has two of the foam Mig 27 airplanes that are not built yet and 1 K&B Sportster .65 thats pretty well broke in. We didnt run his engine, but we ran my engine with his carb. Totally new animal. Same backplate stamping as my two. Though I never tried my other sportster carb on my running engine. I only swapped idle disks. This kinda makes me wonder now...

I was really floored with the 2200rpm idle I got (on the good carb). Excellent midrange - it throttled up perfectly even after 10 seconds. It never ran that good for me. I might be able to get one of the M27 drones and learn to fly on that gigantic thing instead of building a kit.. It only has ailerons and elevator, so I'll add a Rudder to the tail.