RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Super Sportster 60 Kit - First Timer
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Super Sportster 60 Kit - First Timer

I've been called worse... today even .

I can check my plans.. there is sheeting on the trailing edge? If there's sheeting in the back.. sometime the thinner is in the back .. thicker up front so check the sizes. What you have there is probably top and bottom of leading edge sheeting. Painters tape works well to hold the sheeting in place. Do bottom or top.. let dry .. then the other.

For the motor mount and drilling holes.... in the future do not drill to what is on the plan for there is basically a 100% chance the holes wont match the motor your using.

I fit the mount to my motor (just place it in snug between the rails)... a drop or two of CA holds the back sliding pieces together... remove the motor carefully so you don't break the tack......place the mount on the firewall in the correct location per the plans and mark the holes. Remove mount and drill. If what you have done is not right.. it's no biggie... you can pick up some dowel at home depot or wherever of the correct diameter.. cut a plug the width of your firewall. .a little glue and push in place... let it dry. .sand smooth and go again.

On the plans the nose looks might tight it you cowl it in.. looks like they cut the xtra length of mount off to assist with coweling in the motor.

The wing looks good.. is there glue yet on the joints.. looks like they're just placed for fit so far? I usually run a small fillet on both sides of all joints. either with the glue that was there for the original placement or I may add a smidge more if needed to get the fillet. I find my pinkie for items not pinned to the board or a wooden coffee stirrer like the ones at Starbucks works real well leaving a small thin bead. You can sand the radius you need on it.

I;m sure there are a million opinions on radio choice but I moved to 2.4 last year and got the spektrum 6xi. In my opinion it was very reasonably priced.. there's a million of them out there..all the popular features and I have had no issues with it. I have 5 models programmed at the moment. Flies my parkflyers to larger glow planes using the appropriate receivers. Does not come with servos or airborne battery pack but I had extras of both on hand. I also have a couple hitec 72's that work great also... But it's nice to have all the bells and whistles of the newer radios.

If I recall the bipe version didn't use N struts??