RCU Forums - View Single Post - I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM
MickMack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!

Hi Downunder and others, I started this post off on this premis.
When I was a kid I distinctly remember the Racing A and the Castrol M, From memory Racing A (if that is what it was called) was just straight Ethanol and Castrol M was just Castor oil.
Now if you had money or you could get it you could add 5% nitro, and that would make the engine run more reliably, but if you couldn't get it would still run and might just be a bit more of a pain to start.
If you wanted to terminate your engine early you might have added 10% nitro, but people who did so were shunned for their lack of responsibility, there was two schools of thoughts those that said the new OS engines etc could handle the extra nitro and those that said you are ruining your engine, Anyway that is how I remember it all, back 23 years ago!

After trying metho (95%) and castor oil, and not being able to run the Tmaxx engine reliably I can only conclude it really needs Nitro, I think from stated above it runs lower compression and runs higher nitro 20-30 percent in aid of reliability and use frendlyness.

It also will run, being a pain to start!, but trying to idle back it tended to just stop, no matter what air/fuel mixture I worked on.
With a plane wouldd probably be fine as you only go 50-100 percent during flight.

Again as suggested above, I could just shave the head in an aid to increase compression and that may do it.
If it was as simple as sanding with 2000 grit emery paper for half an hour I would probably do it

I should just get some fuel over in a shipping container,,,,, although I think there are dangerous goods, it complicates things for that container.
I did once talk to the petroleum people here about all this but nothing was going to be cheap!

Your not planning a Cruise Boat trip here any time soon?

Mike.