RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prop for H9 Alpha 40
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
VetteV12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop for H9 Alpha 40

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: VetteV12

Do as hogflyer suggested about knocking the stupid flywheel off, but I used a larger socket and a smaller socket with a hammer. The engine runs much smoother. Been flying like it this for the past 3months.
I would not suggest that for a beginner.

The flywheel acts to keep the engine idling even if the tuning is off. It also permits a slower safe idle, ( better on fingers! ).

On an Alpha it also helps with the balance of the plane.

However, once the flyer has advanced to the point that they are tiring of trainers, they can do as you say.

He shouldn't have a poorly tuned engine if he has an instructor like he says. I'm not sure what your experience is with the stupid flywheel but I hate them and took mine off after the 8th flight and will never look back. My engine along with the other guy I fly with have had less issues and a better/ lower idle with it off, while also getting a few more RPM's. I'm also progressing extrmely fast as I only started this 3months ago and I'm now flying a P51 and just bought an Edge 540. So if advancing makes that big of difference why in the world did I, along with my friend, take ours off when we where still "learning" to fly? I'm not trying to start an argument but this the reason I don't accosiate with any field and just fly with a group of friends. Do what you want but I'm just stating what a lot of others have about removing it and how much better it was, just do a google search because that's what I did when I decided to take mine off.