RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prop for H9 Alpha 40
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop for H9 Alpha 40

ORIGINAL: VetteV12

I'm not sure what your experience is with the stupid flywheel but I hate them and took mine off after the 8th flight and will never look back.
My experience with the PTS engines is somewhat extensive, since most people showing up for training have Alpha's and we do a LOT of training on them.

The first thing we do is to properly set up the student's plane.

The flywheel was put there for good reason, and unless it is somehow interfering with operation, it should be left on the engine being used by the novice.

It can indeed be removed later once the beginner has progressed to the point that they understand engine tuning a bit better and the engine has been flown and broken in.

So if advancing makes that big of difference why in the world did I, along with my friend, take ours off when we where still ''learning'' to fly?
That you did something a bit more unconventional is not in question, however advising that novices remove the flywheel immediately is not good advice.

I'm not trying to start an argument but this the reason I don't accosiate with any field and just fly with a group of friends.
That's a rationalization for not joining a club and has nothing to do with this engine nor the advice given.

Do what you want but I'm just stating what a lot of others have about removing it and how much better it was

The presence of the flywheel improves idle and prevents deadsticks.

It is often removed while installing a different prop, and the engine is retuned in the process.

This is often mistaken for "improving" the engine because of the flywheel alone.

In actual practice the flywheel has only a small effect on the top end but the benefits, particularly for a novice are important.

just do a google search because that's what I did when I decided to take mine off.
non-sequitor.