RCU Forums - View Single Post - Larger Revolver
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Larger Revolver

ORIGINAL: mach2

Wow. I didnt think it would be that much of a difference. I weighed the xoar after i balanced it so there is added weight on the hub. Check out the pics. the weight was measured in grams. That's a lot of power robbing weight.....

the APC is a 11x4 and the xoar is a 11x7

Jeremy
The weight on the apc vs the xoar does not mean the APC will rob power because of the extra weight. It is actually more fluid and holds better power through an even spectrum. Some of the experts can chime in but once you start moving more weight, the weight can be maintained easier than moving less weight. In other words, once the weight starts moving it is easy to keep it moving. There are many variables involved though.

Maybe this is different with propellors, however from the small amount of flying I do I can tell there are some similar characteristics involved. I forget the principle behind this, however I have used both APC and Xoar and the APC actually out performs the Xoar for normal flying with CERTAIN engines and flying styles. Keep in mind, it all depends on flying style as they each have their place.

The lighter will certainly spool up quicker because it is light and that can be enough benefit on its own, however it also flexes more and drops RPMs faster and often works the engine harder. There is a lot of science behind this. When I was working with auto mechanics I used to always think that a lighter flywheel was better until I realized the purpose of how a torque converter or flywheel worked. There are benefits on both sides of the fence though and the key is to get a good matchup.