RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 Electric Conversion Question...>>>
Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 Electric Conversion Question...>>>

Guys, I have to admit, I am electric power illiterate. I know less than nothing about them.

But I have this beautiful SeaGull Ultimate 90 I want to assemble and I have been going back and forth from gas to glow on power. That was until I witnessed a very large stick type sport plane, I'd guess 90" + that was electric and I have to admit, I am hooked on the ease and simplicity and best of all... NOMESS!

The SeaGull 90 Ultimate is a 54" span BiPe with 992 sq in of wing area and is supposed to weigh in around 10.5lbs. What type of motor & speed controller would you think I need for this? I realize this will be on LiPo but how big (cells and capacity) do you think I will require? Cost isn't as much of an issue as having the correct set-up that is well powered.

For example Great Planes has a Rimfire 1.60 63-62-250 outrunner motor that is claimed to be for a sport plane up to 20lbs and a 3D plane up to 12lbs. Is this sufficient? I have access to Castle Speed Controllers at a very fair price and have the Phoenix ICE from 100 amp to the 160 amp version readily available. Will these be sufficient as well?

If this works out, I am strongly considering my Big Hots 91" and my Super Hots 54" going electric as well. I am really interested in EP.

Thanks!!!