RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redcat Racing Volcano Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

ORIGINAL: Kristoffer_E

Hmm, ok. How many teeth would I want on the clutch bell to compensate for the increased gearing? Is 12 sufficiently low, or should I try to fit a 49T or even bigger spur gear into the Shockwave tranny in addition to a smaller clutch bell? ie. a savage spur or something?

I figured it was geared a little high, but if that's the problem, its CRAZY high.

Thanks for your help,

Kristoffer
I did a lot of research when I converted my Tornado. First I ran it with the bigger tires. Stock 1st gear spur was a 47 tooth, I think the clutch was a 15t in first and 17t in second. After looking into the Shockwave tranny, I contacted Redcat to see if they had a larger spur that would fit that tranny, the answer was no. Since the diff gears are the same size as my HPI MT2, I wanted gearing similar to it, which was 52t spur with a 14t bell. Since 44t was the largest spur available I figured I would need at least a 11t bell which I didn't think existed. So this is what led me to going with the Volcano tranny. Since my 2.8 size buggy tires are not as tall as the Volcano tires, I didn't need such a small clutch bell. Right now I have the stock spur in the Volcano with a HPI 18t bell and it runs great all over the RPM range. Since you already have the Shockwave tranny in, I would try the smallest clutch bell you could find and go from there. A 12t might just do it. It will certainly be a big difference from the 16t bell. In the end, it may not give you the performance your looking for, but it will certainly help your clutch out.