RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM
speedstik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

26cc is minimal if you like to fly a docile Decath. Takeoff runs will be very long especially on grass fields. I would recommend 40cc minimum for substantial thrust. I used a Magnum 180 on my Decath in the beginning, 1 year ago and upon takeoff, all of our 400' + runway was required for liftoff! Some would say I went overboard and some did say, awesome as I did on the 1st takeoff when I replaced the 4-stroker 180 with a 2-stroker DLE 55cc gas power-house spinning a 22x10 prop.. The SD tail was up instantly, within' 40' it was air born. Vertical climbing seemed nearly unlimited as I lowered the throttle just before it disappeared from sight. To balance, I moved the rudder and elevator servos into the rear hatch, the 16 oz. gas fuel tank over the CG, the 5-cell battery pack over the CG and the ignition pack directly behind the fuel tank. 6" Dubro inflatable wheels were required for prop clearance. Perfect neutral balance was achieved @ the recommended balance point. Since this drastic overhaul, the SD has moved to the top as my preferred flyer.