RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOLEDO SHOW and ETOC 2012
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: TOLEDO SHOW and ETOC 2012

I had a really good discussion with Christoph Lausberg from Germany. When I complemented him on his smooth constant speed flight, he commented that the criteria for F3P in Europe, was 50% of the weighted score toward smoothness and gracefulness with constant speed being an objective criteria for smoothness and gracefulness (sound familar to the new F3A?). That explains why both he and Gernot were flying planes that, by most all accounts, seemed constant speed slower and smoother. Now, Dave walked up and I asked him, "How many F3P contests are there in the US?" ...well, one (KIEF) and a few informal ones (Dave mentioned there may be one in TX sometime in the future). So Europe is much more mature than US with regard to sequence flying. Judging standards are that of F3A or IMAC here in the U.S. I admit when I judged an ETOC finals round last year I looked at radius segments, lines between rolls, entry and exit altitude on center maneuvers, geometry and the usual stuff. Faster flights actually scored better to me because the planes appeared crisper, and held lines better. Riley used that technique this year. However, it is hard to define lines in F3P because of the low ceilings of most flying (or in the case of pilots- practice sites).

In any event, good food for thought. With the level of indoor interest its just a matter of structuring some F3P events around other shows or events. We appreciate the KIEF experience- hopefully that will come back (maybe at another location).

Regards,
Don