RCU Forums - View Single Post - MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

You are correct; there is no removing the pulse pump assembly without splitting the nose case. The pins the planetary gears align on, one planetary gear of which drives the connecting rod for the pulse pump piston also acts as the alignment pins for the nose and forward case halves. You can screw the pulse pump cylinder barrel off, but that is about it.

The only caution I would give if you choose to plug the pulse tube and use the electric fuel pump is to keep the pulse pump air intake hole clean. If the air hole was ever able to become clogged and the grease were to build above the piston then a hydraulic lock may occur. This would create a side load on the planetary gear which drives the piston closing the gap between the planetary gear and the crankshaft splines. This would lead to a catastrophic engine failure in my estimation.

The gear in the bottom of this photo shows the concentric lobe on the top side of the planetary gear in which the pulse pump connecting rod drives on. This is how MOKI develops the stroking action of the piston. You can also see in the photo there is no room for any side load to occur without damaging the gear train.

Just my thoughts,