RCU Forums - View Single Post - Corsair retracts other than Robarts?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Corsair retracts other than Robarts?

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

Right - functional oleo struts. I bought a pair of Robart oleo struts and they look fantastic! Haven't installed them yet - I'm a little intimidated by the complexity of converting from the 5/32'' wire to the oleo struts.

Each oleo strut comes with a couple of metal inserts that the existing 5/32 wire struts must be shoved through (a really tight fit, drilling required!). Then the metal inserts with 5/32 wire goes into the oleo strut (another really tight fit!) . Then that whole assembly goes into the Spring Air retract.

If anybody has done this before, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.

OK... advice...

First off, some info. The adapter bushings: There are 2 sets. One set for 5/32" and one set for 3/16". They both have the same outside diameter and must be pressed into the tubes. That's not a simple deal.

You cut the tube to length, then insert whichever adapter set suits your original wire gear diameter. In your case it'd be the 5/32" inserts. They do not require drilling to accept that wire. You might have that confused with the drilling required for the 6-32 set screws.

The inserts are a very tight fit into the tubes. No drilling needed to insert as you want an interference fit. You'll need a press to do the job easily. I made up a fixture so I can 'tap' the inserts in with a hammer.

You've got to drill and tap two holes through the tube/bushings. Set screws come with the struts. They are required to hold the 5/32" pins that are needed to attach the struts to the retracts. Only the pin goes into the retract and is held the same way the 5/32" OEM wire struts were held. Drilling the 2 holes is a job where advice is a good thing to have. Getting a drill to stay centered is not easy. I file a flat where I want each hole to go. The drill won't wander off then.

The picture on the 'instructions' page is inside the folder. It shows the adapter insertion and hole drilling job.

It ain't the easiest task in the world but other than pressing the inserts, doesn't offer any real problems.