RCU Forums - View Single Post - NitroPlanes Ultimate 50cc and DLA56 - Full Build Post
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NitroPlanes Ultimate 50cc and DLA56 - Full Build Post

ORIGINAL: charlesp

not the upper wing tabs but the strut tabs in each wing 8 total

The reason i changed them is becouse two of them broke off flush with the top of the bottom wing and i had repaired them but was getting a cracking noise when i lifted the plane from the wingtips (balancing). I knew something was nt good! At first I was just going to look. I pulled off the covering and scored the light ply on the side of the tab... Pulled th ply off without any trouble then grabbed the tab. It pulled out without any glue on it

I would not just glue it with CA as this is a gas plane and i just would not trust it. Believe me I hated cutting into it but would rather have a patch on the plane rather then have to fix it after a crash.

What I did was remove the ply on one side of the tab inside the wing. I then removed the tab and dry fit the new aluminum tabs. note :: I made the new tabs 1/4 ''longer so there was some fitting required.

I also made a new inner rib to replace what i had taken off. I then drilled a hole passing through the new rib the tab (witch it taped) and ply on the other side.

I then put a bolt passing through everything

After i got the two tabs on the one side of the wing to a point that i was happy with the way it fit. I used 30 min epoxy to glue them. I had the strut installed to be sure that everything stayed lined up during the curring

After everything was done i lifted up on the wingtips and there was no cracking noise like before

hope this helps
Good stuff. Thanks. Have you flown it yet? What's your impressions?