RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maj. Woody's E-Flight F-4 Phantom
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 737 Likes on 532 Posts
Default RE: Maj. Woody's E-Flight F-4 Phantom

I've been captain slow on the turbine conversion, I wish I had stuck with having a mini bi-fo tail pipe made, as the single conversion means lots of rear fuselage cut away.
In the mean time I "borrowed" a second F-4 and have been flying that from our grass 270' site. The F-4 really surprised me. The grass was not that short and it still took off in less than 150' initial acceleration is slow, takes about half a circuit to fully un-stall the fan. You can hear it unload.
Performance was really good, i didn't expect it to fly so well, I went with lots of elevator movement as I didn't have the manual, and it feels about right. Roll rate is OK, flaps work fine and I can land it using only 100' of grass even in 6-7 mph winds. It lands high alpha, which looks good!
Using 30C 5000 packs, I flew 5 minutes mixed flying and used 4200mAh. It rolls on rudder as expected and does not have enough rudder to hold any length of knife-edge.
It does look good though just beating up the patch and doing Derry turns, I'll try and get some flying shots tomorrow, as none of my camera drivers have been around when I was flying it locally.

Dw