RCU Forums - View Single Post - OK guys, another "What do I have here"
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OK guys, another

I have found Monocoat seams to be fairly watertite..You need a good overlap , aprox 1/2 of an inch and it needs to be lapped from front over the back of course . Monocoat (or any covering) seams will come loose over time depending on how and what you clean your plane with..I somtimes seal loose seams with CA after cleaning them with alcohol and re ironing..I will also use some balsarite to help the covering stick good if it is a big loose section... Monocoat will wear out very quickly on the bottom of your plane if it comes in contact with the ground...I have some Hanger 9 floats covered with Ultra Coat and the laps are too short. Only about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch...I was flying it from a very sandy beach but it still scrached the bottom of the floats up..I Stripped them and covered them 3/4 oz cloth and West system Epoxy...I am not sure how much weight it added but it sure made a nice set of floats...You could maybe just do the bottom of your plane if you have problems...Could you maybe make some kind of water rudder where the tail wheel is? I guess the idea would be to keep it scale though...