RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

While preparing to send JeffH a PDF of the Perigee plan we found by accident included with Tom's TBX paln, I wanted to take a closer look at the difference between them, primarily the wing plans, and the way the spars were drawn. I had always thought that "someone" (whoever that might be), once-upon-a-time had said the original Perigee plans were different from the kit that Tom's Perigee employed, (more complicated) bent spars, while the kit didn't "for ease of building". Upon closer examination of the original article plans from American Modeler (Jan-Feb 1963), (in miniature), compared with the De Bolt kit plans and finally this plan, THEY ALL APPEAR IDENTICAL TO ME. They all use gently bent spars toward the center.

You can tell these three plans were all drawn at different times. One way you can tell is that Tom used different designations for W-1, W-2 etc. (perhaps this plan was the preliminary drawing for the De Bolt kit because the designations are the same). There might be some subtle difference between the three plans, but except for the aluminum cowl hold-down ring, and nosewheel details Tom used not being included in the kit, I don't know what they are off hand. If anyone (for example Evan, who has a particular knack for pointing out tiny differences as he did when studying differences between the Meyer vs Taurus kit plans), can find any, this might be a good time to point them out. When I actually build the Perigee kit, I'll make a closer comparison between them.

I have decided to include the PFD here. In truth, they are actually much easier to follow than the original kit plans which contain the balsa grain lines that tend to hide details of the plan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sq45755.pdf (1.32 MB, 51 views)