RCU Forums - View Single Post - XB-70 EDF
Thread: XB-70 EDF
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
wallace.tharp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XB-70 EDF

Re; how cool the XB-70 was, I worked for FAA at Edards AFB just after the mid-air happened with the Valkerie & Frank Sanatra's Lear which was on loan to North American to do photo work oof the XB-70. What a shame. I head the actual voice tapes of the mid-air, not pretty, it had an excape capsule, more like almost the whole chckpit, memory serves, it had to be ejected downward. I'm sure Google or similar will have pleanty of infor on an amazing story. My father inlaw worked on both of them. you can see the survivor at Wright-Patt AFB museum on the ramp. He said the one that crashed was a beautiful working airplane and the surviving one had major mechanical and gear problems every time it flew. Yes it is beautiful but interestingly, it was the decider on the USA not buliling an SST. And even though I love the Concord, the more you reasearch it the more you will see that it was really a mistake. In closing. the most berautiful aircraft ever was..... the B-1 bomber and I saw it land at EDW on it's first flight. Before they degraded the HUGE engines it was a screaming monster. Wallace Tharp CFII MEI, etc.