RCU Forums - View Single Post - Troubleshooting steps if nitro won't start?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 AM
BCarter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Troubleshooting steps if nitro won't start?

Myself and 2 other friends all bought vortex ss. All three of them ran the first 3 tanks of gas through with no problem starting. On the 4 th tank, we spent about an hour trying to get them to start. one of the problems might have been the cooler night temperature which dropped from the initial time on the first tank to the 4th. I think more then likely though what happens is that after the 3rd tank the engine is starting to break in, and more fuel is getting to it. A 1/4 turn in on the High Speed Needle the next day and they were all running absolutely normal again. A few more tanks of gas and they have become really easy to start. Check the basics as others have suggested, make sure everything is tight. Also make sure you use fuel that is known to be good, you never know what some people not familiar with Nitro engines might do. Finally, assuming you have the HSN at a good point, and they haven't messed with the LSN, pull the plug get all fuel out of the system by draining tanks, pinch the fuel in tube with your fingers and pull until you don't seem to have any mist of fuel coming out (there might always be a little, so don't go overboard). You now know exactly where you are starting from. Fill the tank with good fuel, prime it, couple of pulls without the glow, attach glow and see what happens. If you find it gets flooded, you know the HSN is too rich, give it a 1/4 turn in. On the other side, if you find it's not firing after 10 pulls or so and you are questioning wether its getting fuel, put a drop of fuel down the carb, just a drop though. If it fires, you are probably too lean and obviously it's not getting fuel. Again this is all assuming the glow plug and igniter are in good working order. I highly doubt your customers would have destroyed the engine after a few tank full of fuel, certainly not 2. Also, were these cars left sitting for a long period of time with fuel in them ? if so, the carb should be cleaned.