RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rookie COG Question
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 PM
tangerine-jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rookie COG Question

It gets really fun when you are building a canard airplane, the CG is not necesarily where the plane balances, nor is the "neutral point" the actual CG. For those planes you use a kind of "center of flight" value somewhere between the CG and NP. Ask my how I know. I built a canard 1911 Voisin biplane pusher (not 1/2A so don't even go there!- hey, I was young, in college and needed the money) and had all kinds of hurt when it came to the test flights. Not only was it a challenge to get the plane ballanced, but the Voisin used not only stabilator, but the rudder was also up front which caused a lot of super sensitive controls and personal stress on the first few flights unitl I got the aileron/rudder mixed together in turns and mangaged to tame the beast. Once the final balance point was determined, and the control throws worked out with rudder mixing to help turn the whale, it was a fine airplane and looked really good in the air. Forget aerobatics, this was a 1911 design and it was just good enough to stay flying then and that was all you could reasonable expect from the model now.

The moral of the story is don't build a canard pusher, certainly not an early vintage flight design, unless you really, really hate yourself...a lot....