RCU Forums - View Single Post - IMAC "BOX" SIZE
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Brockflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMAC

Dan/Ken

<o></o>

Thanks for your reply and valuable input. I hope we can all pool together our resources to find an app “guy” I’ll look into some local colleges solicit professors to see if they could direct their students to put something together. <o></o>

<o></o>

The iPhone is an insanely powerful computer with equally impressive sensors. The phone is 1000 times more capable than what is necessary for this basic application. That is not really a factor worth much discussion. Perk is the phones are available worldwide and at low cost. So money is not a factor in this case.<o></o>

<o></o>

The objective is to accomplish this task via readers and members sharing resources and to stay away from too much theory and detail that may distract from the mission. <o></o>

<o></o>

I think, the question we should ask ourselves is “What can I do, or who do I know that can get this together in a few days?” <o></o>

<o></o>

I can use a eTrex GPS and get decent data but I can’t view it and get value at the field. I can use my iPhone, but the map does not leave a “bread crumb” trail. <o></o>

<o></o>

Things I want to use an iPhone to help determine”<o></o>

<o></o>

Do my maneuvers take place in the appropriate position? That is, do the turn maneuvers (half Cuban and shark tooth) happen at the ends? Do my loops and teardrops happen in the center? Remember, there is no defined “box” yet I need a defined box for my particular style and tempo to improve. Thus a tool is needed. I need to be able to convey accurate data. Air Force and Navy Test pilot school does not make good pilots, the school teaches already good pilots to speak a common language that engineers can use to make changes. <o></o>

<o></o>

Profile view: Correct<o></o>

Left>-Turn Maneuvers-<>-Center Maneuvers<>-Turn Maneuvers< Right

<o></o>

Profile view: Incorrect<o></o>

Left>-Turn Man-(overlapping or skewed)-Center Man(overlapping or skewed)-Turn Man< Right

Do I fly accurately in wind? That is, does my ground track have accuracy (same line each pass)? Does it have precision (same line each pass over the theoretical perfect distance from the pilots box)? To explain accuracy vs. precision. A paper target has 10 bullet holesall in a 1 inch group is accurate. A 1 inch group in the bulls eye is accurate and precise…

My dilemma, How does the half blind old guy that does not fly well standing next to me(a stranger) help me improve?Sure makes sense to look at my iPhone and see a trail of dots over the very field I justflew overin my mind. Hell, I can even call my wife to tell her I am staying late to practice and send her the image to prove it...

Brock